Friday, June 5, 2015

Diabetes and Wine Consumption

Diabetes is one of those diseases that just saps the fun out of life. However, new studies show that a glass or red wine is beneficial to diabetics. Israeli researchers have found that the drink helps to create good cholesterol which has been found to help contain the disease.

But because wine is a fermented alcohol that typically contains a lot of sugar, one must be diligent in watching glucose levels. If you are a Hyperglycemic you especially need to watch your levels, but if you are Hypoglycemic you "should" be fine (I am not giving medical advice I am not a doctor or a medical professional in any means, please consult your doctor before making any medical decisions). Being a type 1.5 Diabetic who is a Hyperglycemic and a candidate for DKA (Diabetic Ketoacidosis) I have to watch my sugar levels whenever I do consume any alcohol.
But I have been finding that I do enjoy my glass (or two) of wine a night. It has become my nightly ritual of pouring myself a glass of wine around 7:30pm and sitting on my porch and watching the sun go down. Which I find has helped me reduce my stress and helps me just take my mind off of things and puts me in a good state of relaxation where it is easier for me to go to sleep. I suffer from insomnia so its a good thing to have a nice glass of wine that works as both a good cholesterol creator, and helping to put me to sleep.

~Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook